Sunday, December 1, 2013

Vyasa Puja Offering 2013

Dear Radhanath Swami,

Please accept my respects. All glories to our beloved Srila Prabhupad.

When my mother sits down to play the harp, she brings out her electric tuner and tuning fork. She plucks each and every string and checks the sound against her tuner. A needle swings right or left to gauge when a note is on or off key. My mother then twists each and every knob with her tuning fork, carefully making sure that all of the strings shine as on-key on her tuner.

When all 48 strings have been tuned, my mother then strums her graceful hands across the strings in a waterfall of notes. She can now play and sing all kinds of music - from classical and jazz pieces to my personal favorite, her heartaching rendition of Bhajahu Re Mana.

In a similar way, Radhanath Swami, I get you as such an expert musician of the soul. Each time you sit down to speak, you fold your palms, close your eyes, and crease your brows in prayer. With the tuning fork of your prayers, you adjust your heart to the unshakeable and eternal values and instructions of your beloved spiritual master, Srila Prabhupad.

Then, when you are tuned, you open your eyes and speak. I have seen you move thousands of people to laughter as well as to tears. You respond to the most cutting questions and challenges with grace. You transform hearts. You transform mine.

I pray that I may follow your example. I pray that I may tune in to your and Srila Prabhupad's values and instructions. I want to be your instrument. Please.

Yet once I am tuned, there is an even higher destiny than being played on my own. In this regard, I once went to a classical music concert. For a full half an hour, my mom and I just listened to the orchestra tune in with each other. It was actually part of the concert! Frankly, I was getting rather bored.

But it was worth it. When at last the concert began, the music created was awe-inspiring.

Similarly, we devotees of Krishna and your disciples are all different instruments. But if we can tune in to each other - even if it's a long or boring or painful process - we can create something so much more powerful than we could ever create on our own. We can create a symphony of love and compassion for God and for the world. This is our highest destiny.

Thank you for being in my life, Radhanath Swami. Thank you for showing by example how to tune in and be a part of this divine symphony.

Sincerely,

In service,

Bhakti lata dasi

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading your description, experiences classical music compositions, I wanted to share a parallel impression.
Listening to your kirtans, seen as you sincerely and deeply sentimental experiencing them. We are taught to sing with a sense of separation and helplessness, and I think you're in kirtan, trying to develop this condition ...
Perhaps, if it is pertinent, you can share your inner feelings?

Rukmini Priya said...

Ah, Bhakti. I was browsing through your blog just now and came across this post from 2013. I never got to express this to you (and frankly I totally forgot about it until just now) but this blog post inspired the last Sadhu Sanga Tee shirt design. You so beautifully put into words what I wanted to show through illustration.

"Similarly, we devotees of Krishna and your disciples are all different instruments. .....we can create something so much more powerful than we could ever create on our own" Those lines were especially poignant to me.

Anyway, I know I should have told you about this months ago. But somehow I remembered today. All the best and please don't ever stop writing!

PS: If you haven't seen last year's Tshirt design let me know and i'll send you a digital copy of the design!


To write is to dare the soul. So write.