Monday, October 22, 2012

Holy Dham

When I first came to Mumbai, all I heard was relentless car-honking, construction hammering, and shouts.

All I saw was trash in gutters, slums, the hollow eyes of beggars.

All I smelled was the sewer, the burn of gasoline.

Over the past month, I have learned to listen to the arati bell, the ocean of voices singing the holy name in unison, the murmur of my own voice chanting on beads.

I have learned to see the gold and brown sheen within the eyes the beggar child, to not let my eyes dart away. I have learned to see the names of God in almost every shop name in this city.

I have learned to smell the richly burning ghee lamps which illuminate the forms of Laxmi Narayan.

I have learned to remember the dozens of names of the people I have met. I have learned to lead a kirtan even when I'm nervous and I don't believe in myself.

I have learned to let go, receive, surrender.

I seem to have found the holy dham within this city of Mumbai. 

2 comments:

Vinod said...

Panihati 3rd June 2011. This Kirtan is a lullaby , i listen to it and sleeep .Thanks

Catherine L. Schweig said...

Lovely! Yes, the holy dham is everywhere, if only we develop the eyes to see it. Thank you for sharing!

Also, I have begun a women's spiritual poetry blog I would love for you to participate in. Jahnavi mentioned to me that you would be the perfect candidate. I would love it if you felt inspired to submit a poem on your experiences in India. Thank you in advance. :))


To write is to dare the soul. So write.