Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Love Spell

You know how when you’re falling in love, you want to shout it out to the whole world?

Right now it is ten o’clock at night, and I was just about to go to sleep. But I jumped on my scooter (in my pajamas) and sped several miles to the nearest wi-fi hotspot because this news cannot wait until tomorrow:

For one day, the holy name stole my heart.

The Kartik 24 Hour Kirtan in New Vrindavan cast a spell on me, a spell that still lingers around the edges of my heart, like incense in a templeroom.

I chose to follow mauna-vrata (vow of silence) for the duration of the festival, and the magic of the holy name sunk deep, deep into my skin. Sometimes I forgot to eat because I was so enthralled in a kirtan. I cursed my need for sleep.

As the festival drew to a close, I had been hearing and chanting only the holy name for more than 24 hours. I felt as though my mind was bathed in stillness. Every time I heard someone singing the mahamantra, even someone in passing just walking down the hall, I would stop and close my eyes and listen.

It's like the Vaishnavas have cast a spell on me that I never want to fade.



note: e-mail subscribers need to click through to seedofdevotion.blogspot.com to view the above video. 



Entire audio track: http://kuruvinda.com/music/KirtanSanga/BecauseWeCan/Volume1/1-14%20Tinge%20of%20Playfulness.mp3

4 comments:

Chuck said...

I absolutely LOVE this. Thank you! I'm a new/aspiring devotee living far away from any temple or others interested in KC, so my only means of association is via the Internet at this point. Beautiful sharings such as yours mean a great deal to me. Again, thanks so much.

Bhakti lata said...

Wonderful to hear of your story, Chuck. I was once in your position. I feel inspired to continue to write.

Unknown said...

Thank you for your memories of that day. You are inspiring me to write. :)

Dankesh said...

This is a wonderfull kirtan, sometiems i only come to hear this kritan, great simply great hari bol.
BTW, few days back i tried to visit your blog and i could not access it, the messge was that only friends are allowed nice to see that i could access it again
thank you again and hari bol


To write is to dare the soul. So write.