Saturday, October 18, 2008

The King of Kirtan

Lifted from my journal:

The kirtan is building. People are amassing. The hands on the clock tick towards six o'clock.

The king is coming. Soon.

*

He's late. The crowd is growing more and more massive. Crazy. Amal is rocking the kirtan right now.... building, building... I'll see the famous Aindra for the first time any moment now... any moment now...

Aho! There he is! In tattered white, he entered the center of the kirtan from behind in a very quiet, very undramatic way. Such an unassuming man. This is Amal's hero.

*

Wow. Live at last. For years, always recordings. Now I am immersed in the spiraling voice, the mridangas, the crowd, the tumultuous clapping hands, the soft yellow light from the chandeliers, a faint breeze on my back from the fans. The rhythm of the drums reverberates in my chest.

Krishna Balaram smile upon the King of Kirtan.

2 comments:

ramesh sadasivam said...

When you have time, read this. Story of Valmiki, in my own words.

http://smilemakerkrishna.blogspot.com/2008/10/thiefs-redemption.html

Campaka said...

makes me miss Vrndavan sooo much! so glad to know that Amala has joinged the kirtan. wish I was there


To write is to dare the soul. So write.