Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Letter to an Inspiration

I wrote the following letter to Mother Mitravinda, an inspiration in my life, during her final days. So often we appreciate people when they leave us, so I wrote this letter to give her my appreciation and went to visit her in hospice. I was thinking I would just give it to Raghu (her son) to read, but when I arrived she asked me to simply read out my own letter. So I took deep breaths and began...

Dear Mother Mitravinda,

I feel such love and appreciation when I can simply gaze at Radha Shyamasundar and know: Mother Mitravinda dressed today. Your elegance and sincerity in your service has always inspired me in my spiritual life. Receiving your compliments after dressing Radha Madan Mohan was the ultimate sign that I was on the right track.

I shall never, ever forget the moment you asked me if I wanted to make Lord Nityananda's turban for Janmastami. How you believed in me, inspired me, and then guided me to serve the Lord.

And I shall never forget clasping each other's hands, tears in our eyes, as the curtains swung open on Janmastami day. A beautiful feeling of gratitude washed over me: Mother Mitravinda has helped me serve the Lord.

Thank you. Thank you for your service, your spirit when we dance, your example, our kinship... you are deep within my heart. Maybe one day, Radhe Shyam will allow me to dress Them, and I shall pray to you, here in my heart, to serve Them with sincerity and devotion.

And one day we'll be clasping hands as the curtains swing open and Radhe Shyam and Gaura Nitai smile upon us.

With love,
Bhakti lata dasi

It was the last time I ever saw Mother Mitravinda. Thank you, Krishna, for the blessing of her association.

1 comment:

Ramya said...

Haribol!
Beautiful post. I have read it number of times. Thank you so much.


To write is to dare the soul. So write.